Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Adrian: The Iconic Suit

Tonight's fashion lecture at the Phoenix Art Museum was entitled "Adrian: The Iconic Suit". Given by fashion historian Jane Trapnell, it extensively covered Adrian's life and career, and I definitely learned some interesting things about this amazing designer! In honor of the subject matter, my dear friend Rose and I dressed in our best forties suits. I apologize for the slightly blurry photo; it was the only one that mostly turned out (still figuring out the camera settings after all this time, sigh) but I wanted to share it with you anyway.

My 1940s-suit has western-inspired details and was mistaken for an Adrian by the historian--I am certain the designer was influenced by him! I accessorized with nude fully fashioned stockings, navy 40s platforms, a cream straw portrait hat trimmed in navy felt, and carved bone earrings (the suit and earrings came from Rose's shop, Matilda's Closet.) I'm also wearing a Scottie pin engraved "Bob 1941."
xoxo
Amanda Lee

8 comments:

  1. beautiful vintage suits and hats. you both look smashing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic suit and style. In middle of blogland, you are one of the happy few who always seems to came from the past.
    O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling suit and hat and hairstyle and.. everything! Never mind the blur;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that must have been a fascinating lecture. You look just heavenly (as always!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to tell you I'm a constant lurker. I am not socially saavy, so whilst I stroll by and ogle your style, I rarely comment because I'm not very good at intros. Having said that, WOW! Look at you! You and your suit are stunning!

    I'm jealous! I wish I could afford to copy the vintage detailing that you've accomplished here...

    Sounds like you had a marvelous time.

    By the way, pleased to meet you! (See, I suck at salutations).

    All the best from Chicago,
    Darlene

    vintagenotionsandwhatnot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My. Goodness. I am so envious of you! I have a serious addiction to 1940s suits and i really want to steal this one of you hehe! Beautiful as usual xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the sweet comments, everyone! We really enjoyed the lecture and I know you would have too--wish you could have been there :-)

    And I'm very pleased to meet you, Darlene!

    ReplyDelete
  8. perfect outfit for the lecture - sounds really interesting
    x

    ReplyDelete